Friday, February 24, 2012

My Saturday Morning Dates...

Over the last few years, Saturdays have become a cherished routine - a date with Parker & my riding trainer that I look forward to after a stressful week at the office.

It isn't always easy to drag my not-such-a-morning-person butt out of bed at 7 am after a late Friday night… but once I’m at the stables, all seems right again. I’ve been riding for the last fifteen years of my life (wow that statement makes me feel old)… so I think part of it may be the nostalgic feeling I get when I see the lesson kids dragging their pony’s around a miniature sized jump course... or practicing their dressage tests before a show. However, I think the biggest part is how it feels to let go of the bustle of the city for a few hours and forget about “real life”.


Parker in the outdoor dressage ring...

I honestly believe everyone needs an escape like this... something that gets their mind off the stress of a job, school, etc. For me, riding is just that – a welcomed interruption to the 8-5 lifestyle that I have so comfortably slipped into since college graduation. When I'm there, I'm not thinking about anything else. I'm focused. I'm relaxed.

Don’t get me wrong, riding has proven to be just as difficult and frustrating as anything else… and I’ve certainly had some terrifying moments in my riding career (as my mother can surely attest to witnessing)… but that’s exactly what makes it worth every second. It's not about the falls or the tears - and believe me there have been many of both over the years - it's the moment when everything just clicks and the movement that has been practiced over and over is finally perfected.

Plus, how could you not love this face...

Clearly the feeling isn't mutual...

I hope everyone has a very happy & relaxing weekend. Cheers for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment