Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas in a Northern Town (part two)

I love this holiday. I love when the fireplace is going, and the Christmas tunes are quietly playing in the background of dinner conversation. I love gathering the whole family together in one room and attempting to keep some sort of order to the chaos. I love waking up (no longer at 6 am… you’re welcome Mom & Dad) and shuffling into the living room, cup of steaming coffee in hand, to open gifts on Christmas morning. We really are lucky. I know people say this all the time… but seriously, what did I do to deserve this wonderful life?
This year proved to be no different. Christmas Eve at my uncle's house resulted in a night of family, wine, food, jokes… and did I mention wine? We started with an ’85 Georges de Latour private reserve and worked our way up through the vintages and regions. There was a Spanish Rioja (for Grace) as well as several others from France, Italy and of course a bottle from sunny California. We ended the night (and meal) with a dessert wine, Château d'Yquem, which was simply delightful. If you ever get a chance to try something like this… do it. These opportunities aren’t around often. Actually, that’s my advice for all wine. Whether you love it or not, if you have a chance to try a glass that doesn’t come out of a box… do it. (Not that I’m dissing the box-o-wine fad… my friends and I certainly embraced this during our college years.) This is a tradition with my dad’s side of the family… one that I look forward to every year. The company isn’t bad either. haha

A very merry Christmas indeed

Christmas day was just as jolly. We woke up on the later side this year (we meaning Grace and I) after staying up a bit too late watching “Horrible Bosses” (and of course trying to catch Santa in action). That movie is hilarious. Watch it. Thank me later. Anyways… after the Christmas morning gifting, my mom’s side of the family started to filter in and we resumed the eating, drinking and general merriment from the night before.
We make the kids' table great (missing Liz)


I hope everyone had a very happy holiday. Looking forward to 2012… Cheers for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment